The Place Where You Live - El lugar donde vives

 

Cover of "The Place Where You Live" by James Luna, Illustrated by Thelma Muraida

    "The Place Where You Live" is a children's book about home. The author is from San Bernardino, California and grew up with Mexican and American culture. Every page has the words printed in English and Spanish, and contains beautiful artwork to help the reader understand the book. Throughout the story, the author describes "the place where you live", which is your home. He describes what his kitchen is like when his grandmother (Abuela) is cooking, what school is like, the park, corner store, library and more. Throughout the book, the reader can get an idea of what the characters daily lives are like, and more importantly what their favorite aspects of home are. 

I really enjoyed the artwork in this book. I have said this almost every week, but I really do think this is my favorite artwork. The colors are very bright and warm, and each page reminds me of the time I have spent in New Mexico and California. My Mom's side is from California, and my grandfather used to live in San Bernardino when he was a teenager. I have spent a lot of time in California and consider it my other home. Much like OKC, you will find a vast array of Mexican and American culture being intertwined. 

As for the classroom, I believe this would be a great book for students who speak Spanish or English as a first language. Spanish-speaking students can practice their English by reading both translations, and English-speaking students could practice their Spanish. If I ever read this book to a group of students, I would probably have them repeat the words after me. When I taught "Newcomer" students, most of my students spoke mostly Spanish, so we would practice reading things in English together. I think it is always a win-win if everyone can improve their language skills in one way or another. 

I can also see this being a great book to introduce Mexican American culture, and a way to introduce students to the idea of "Culture". Young students could do art projects about where they live, and what their daily lives are like. For example, I am actually Swedish, and one of my favorite memories growing up was when I got to bring Swedish Pancakes with lingonberries to class. It is really important that students get these kinds of opportunities at school, so they can learn to be proud of their own culture, while also growing an appreciation for others. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Princess Boy

After The Fall (How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up Again) by Dan Santat

Hey, Kiddo by Jarrett Krosoczka